Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Hyenas, Tigers, and Man, OH MY!

Life of Pi by Yann Martel
In an attempt to find my own voice and to create an innovative and more personable review of the material I look at and analyze, I think it would be best to reformat and incorporate first person point of view. Without further ado, “Life of Pi” by Yann Martel.
What can I say? The storyline and events of this novel are quite addictive and more importantly, fluid. Young Piscine, “Pi”, Patel details the shortcomings of his own name and his childhood in India with numerous curiosities and triumphs that set his childhood apart from the average kid. His father runs and owns a zoo which becomes a critical piece in Pi’s growth and later survival while stranded at sea for over half a year with only a few surviving zoo animals as companions on a small rescue boat.
I found myself continually bemused and emotionally attached to Pi’s antics and cleverness in survival which speaks especially to Mr. Martel’s ingenuity and creativity in the development of this fantasy adventure. I was, and readers most likely feel the same, continuously considering how well Mr. Martel was able to relay and inspire feelings.
My best example of this comes towards the end of the second portion of the book when Pi has become blind with hunger and suddenly another castaway appears who is French and blind as well. I found myself utterly bewildered attempting to ascertain what was going on. However, this confusion is likely due to Martel’s hand and displays the confusion and blindness that Pi himself must have felt being blind and suddenly meeting another person after tens of days with no companion but a Bengal tiger. It was almost kafka-esque.
I would be detracting from my job and obligation if I did not mention the spiritual undertones and discussion in this novel. Pi is a practicing Hindu, Christian, and Muslim who makes compelling arguments and points about loyalty to one religion and ultimately the larger picture of what belief and piety truly is.
I was, overall, very impressed with “Life of Pi” and consider it something that should be put on anyone’s list to read if your interests lay in adventure, survival, and the new. My only criticism lay in wanting to know the true occurrences and events that surround the plot!